Pack the perfect socially-distanced picnic
For the majority of 2020, outdoor dining has been the only way to enjoy a meal with someone from outside your own household.
Even as pubs and restaurants begin to open once again, we predict that picnics will remain a staple this summer. As a way to spend time with friends and family safely while maintaining social distancing guidelines, it’s easy to see why the popularity of picnicking is certainly on the rise.
Naturally, the key to the perfect picnic is all about the food – from scrumptious sandwiches to simple snacks, it’s important to pack a spread that everyone will enjoy. With a little help from our friends at Maple from Canada, here are some of our favourite must-have hamper recipes.
- Salads are fuss free and light, ideal for summer days. With countless options, from classic chicken Caesar to an elevated pasta salad, there’s sure to be something for everyone’s tastes.
- Quiches are also a great addition to any picnic, as they can be made in advance and are tasty warm or cold. Served with a side of your choice, an ideal dish for any outdoor feasting.
- Sandwiches are a go-to for many, and with the variety of choice when it comes to breads, fillings and condiments, the possibilities are endless.
- Individual finger-food style dishes like these potato rosti are great for socially-distanced picnics – everyone can easily take one and have the perfect portion without worrying about who has used what cutlery.
- For those with a sweet tooth – cakes, muffins, scones, cookies and traybakes are sure to delight. Individual desserts such as mini trifles or cheesecakes are also delicious sweet options, just remember to keep them cool!
- Bring a blanket, throws and floor cushions to create the ultimate relaxing experience.
- Don’t forget to pack essentials like cutlery, glasses and napkins.
- Consider including recyclable disposable items to manage cross contamination as well as limiting waste.
- For cool drinks and cold foods, take a cooler box/bag to ensure everything stays fresh – especially on those hot summer days.
- Remember a surface to rest your food on, such as a tray or cutting board.
- As well as food, snacks and drinks, bring plenty of water to stay hydrated especially as the weather gets warmer.
- Bring board games for added fun, or if you’re sporty, include some time to play a game of rounders or badminton – bringing the equipment with you.
- Don’t forget to include bags to collect left over waste and rubbish to ensure you leave a space once done.
- Finally, relax and enjoy.